In 1911, community leaders approached Rev. John S. Laubacher out of concern that health care services were not available to meet the needs of the thousands of residents who had settled on the Oxnard plains. Hence, St. John’s Regional Medical Center was established in 1912 by the Sisters of Mercy at the request of Rev. Laubacher.
The hospital grew from a wooden structure with six rooms on ten acres of land to a regional medical center with 265 licensed beds, including a 23-bed acute rehabilitation center, on a 48-acre parcel in northeast Oxnard.
Today, St. John’s Regional Medical Center is located at the corner of Rose Avenue and Gonzales Road, providing easy access from the 101 Freeway and from all cities in Ventura County.