Saturday, April 23, 1-4pm
The Station, 311 Higuera Street, San Luis Obispo, CA
Why of Wine: Where does wine come from? Why is it so important to the development of Western Culture? Could it be true that wine is poetically responsible for literary, democracy, germ theory, cosmology and basically all science? Wes Hagen, consulting winemaker and brand ambassador at J. Wilkes Wines in Santa Maria Valley will answer all these questions and more in a high-spirited romp through wine history that will be made all that much more interesting by tasting delicious wines throughout!
- 1:00-1:30 Registration & Introductions
- 1:30-2:00 Annual Meeting – Scholarships awarded, Election announcement
- 2:00-4:00 Program
Event Photos: https://goo.gl/BZL4jW
Cost: $10 Library Staff Members & Library School Students, $20 Guests
Speaker: Wes Hagen of J. Wilkes Wines.
- In 2013, Michael Cervin (Wall Street Journal, Decanter) rated Wes as one of the 100 Most Influential Winemakers in the Unites States (#68).
- Wes worked as Vineyard Manager and Winemaker at Clos Pepe Vineyards and Estate Wines in the Sta. Rita Hills for 21 years and is considered an industry leader in Santa Barbara Wine, having served for more than a decade on the Board of Directors for both Santa Barbara County Vintners and Santa Rita Hills Winegrowers Alliance.
- Wes is an accomplished wine writer, researcher and lecturer. Wes researched, wrote and had approved the last three AVA’s in Santa Barbara County: Sta. Rita Hills, Happy Canyon and Ballard Canyon.
- He has written for the L.A Times Magazine, Sommelier Journal, Burgundy Report and has appeared and been featured / quoted numerous times in the Wine Spectator, Wine Advocate and Wine Enthusiast.
- Wes taught the Food and Wine Pairing program at Allan Hancock College for four years and has lectured on the History of Wine and Santa Barbara Wine at Cornell University, Caltech and many, many other prestigious institutions.
- Wes has an active and impressive social media following on Facebook (Wes Hagen), Twitter, Instagram and Delectable (@weshagen).